Facebook recently launched a new social media app that’s only exclusive to high school students.
The app,Lifestage,was launched by 19-year old Michael Sayman who says it has been designed for youngsters to “show others who they are and to find out more about the people in their school community as well as meet new people,”
It’s pretty similar to Snapchat with the main difference being that Lifestage is centered around high schools.
And to enjoy this app,one has to be 21 or under meaning anyone above that will only be able to see their own profile.
So here’s a quick run-through of what you need to know about Lifestage which is currently only available to Apple devices in the US:
- You’ll need your phone number,and not your Faceook details,to create a new account.
- You will also be required to enter your age when you login.
- Select your high school(which can’t be changed later)then see the video profiles from people at your school or ones nearby.Note that to view your school mates’ video profiles,your school ought to have registered at least 20 or more members.
- There are no options to restrict viewing as all posts are public by everyone inside and outside your school.
- There is also no way to contact friends directly with the app prompting you to add your Instagram and Snapchat handles to your profile.
And just like Snapchat,you can check how many times your video has been viewed in the past 24 hours.
However,there have been security concerns regarding Lifestage and moreso to do with age verification since you only need to open an account that meets the ’21 or under’ condition then choose a high school to identify with.
The app has even issued a warning to that effect saying that it cannot guarantee whether all its users are genuine.
“We can’t confirm that people who claim to go to a certain school actually go to that school.All videos you upload to your profile are fully public content.”
Facebook however hope that their new app will withstand the test of time given that they shut down a couple of standalone apps like Poke, Slingshot, Paper and Notify.