Moi Girls’ School Nairobi has been under the limelight lately after rape allegations led to its immediate closure.The institution however reopened yesterday, a week after it was closed.
The incident happened on Saturday, the 2nd of June, two days after The Insyder Qru had left the institution from the BLAZE Fests awarding ceremony.
Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohammed, Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang and Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris have been part of the case from when the news broke.
Following the reopening, parents will today hold a meeting with the ministry of Education and the Teachers Service Commission on the state of affairs at the school.
Brain Weke, the new chairman of the Parents Teachers Association yesterday spoke to Daily Nation and expressed his satisfaction with the short-term security measures that have been taken within the school.
Some of the measures taken were recruitment of new watchmen to replace all the previous ones, functioning CCTV cameras, fixed fence and five police officers have been assigned to guard the school for about two months.
According to SDE, Ms Adongo, a parent said, “The administration told us they had fixed the fence, so today when I brought my daughter I decided to go round the school to confirm. Unfortunately, there are still several loopholes.”
Speaking to one of the students last week, the Insyder was informed of strange people whom the students had been spotting within the school.The students had also complained to the administration about strange notes that were passed to them in their washrooms. The administration only advised the girls to ignore them as they were ‘people who were just trying to woo them.’
Yesterday, some of the students spoke to the Insyder expressing their fear and trauma over the incident that happened to their colleagues.
We surely hope that the girls will be safe and that the administration will take precaution where need be.