Nairobi Senator Mike Sonko has filed a case in court to reclaim the Lang’ata Road Primary School playground.
Sonko was speaking to the Star on the Phone yesterday.
He said he will not use demonstrations but will put up a fierce battle in the courts.
“We filed the case on Friday. We were given a hearing date today. The case is before the ELC department of the High court. I will not fight a losing battle. I fought for Visa Oshwal, Langata High School, Buruburu Girls, Kamukunji High School and all other schools. The land must revert back to the school,” Sonko said.
Last week, Kibra MP Ken Okoth threatened to lead residents in pulling down the perimeter wall erected around the plot.
On Friday, the chairman of the National Land Commission Muhammad Swazuri said preliminary investigations showed the land belongs to the school.
He said NLC and the Nairobi government will ensure the pupils use the land as playground today.
Last week, former prime minister Raila Odinga’s aide Eliud Owalo wrote to President Uhuru Kenyatta asking him to intervene and save the school’s land.
“I hereby draw your urgent attention to the above specified subject matter and consequently appeal for your intervention for purposes of securing Langata Road Primary School playground,” Owalo said
Meanwhile pupils, teachers and parents of the Lang’ata Road Primary School were teargassed as they demonstrated on the playground grabbing issue. The pupils were involved in the demonstration earlier this morning and were not spared by the anti riot policemen. The Lang’ata OCPD, Elijah Mwangi, has since been suspended over the protest against the grabbing of the Lang’ata primary school playground.
Source: The Star