What is Twitter? How does it work?
Twitter is an information sharing network that allows expression in 140-character messages called Tweets. It’s an easy way to discover the latest news related to subjects you care about ranging from what is topical in the Kenyan market to the issues that are taking place across the globe.
Twitter is an open source platform which means that you can browse and read Tweets from friends, celebrities, companies, media outlets, and more. You can follow any account and be followed by any account. Celebrities such as @SautiSol, @StellaMwangi and @justaband are connecting with their fans on Twitter. People are also discovering and sharing information in a new, engaging manner, all in real time.
How to get started
The following steps will show you how to get started on Twitter and open an account.
- Open your browser and typehttp://twitter.com/ simply enter your details in the Sign up section on the homepage and you are ready to start exploring Twitter.
- Next you need to select a username or your “@handle”. This is part of your identity on Twitter. Feel free to create your own or select from the Twitter suggestions.
- It’s best to begin your journey by finding and following other interesting Twitter accounts. Twitter will suggest some people you may be interested in following to get you started and then you can look for family, friends or media personalities like @LarryMadowo or @AnneKiguta, to name a few.
- Messages from those you follow will show up in a readable stream on your Twitter homepage, called your “Timeline.” Once you’ve followed a few people, news outlets, organizations, or accounts of your interest, you’ll have a new page of information to read each time you log in.
- Click links in others’ Tweets to view articles, images or videos they’ve linked to. Click ‘hashtagged’ keywords (#) to view all Tweets about that topic.
Composing a Tweet
At its most basic a Tweet is 140 characters of text, but a Tweet can be so much more. A Tweet is an expression of a moment or an idea. Tweets can be enhanced with the addition of photos, Vine’s, GIFs and video.
The best Tweets share meaningful moments — big and small. Quote your grandma, share a photo of your pet, or make a Vine video of your youngest singing a song or dancing to their hearts content. If you think it’s interesting, chances are your followers will, too.
Welcome to Twitter! Over the next couple of weeks we will take you through the different aspects of this social platform covering, how to engage on Twitter, retweets, what a hashtag is, trends and so much more.
About Twitter, Inc.
Twitter (NYSE: TWTR) is a global platform for public self-expression and conversation in real time. By developing a fundamentally new way for people to consume, create, distribute and discover content, Twitter enables any voice to echo around the world instantly and unfiltered. The service can be accessed at Twitter.com, via Twitter mobile applications for a variety of devices, and by text message. Available in more than 35 languages, Twitter has more than 302 million monthly active users. For more information, visit discover.twitter.com or follow @twitter.